The intrauterine insemination is a very simple procedure. It is carried out during the ovulation period. During ovulation, healthy fresh sperm or thawed semen is introduced into the uterus with a thin, flexible catheter. This is a painless procedure, which lasts anywhere between 4 to 7 minutes and is performed without administering an anaesthetic. Right after the procedure, the patient should rest for about half an hour before returning to daily activities. Sometimes ovulation is induced hormonally before the insemination procedure (in cases when the patient shows signs of anovulation or irregular ovulation).
There are numerous advantages to this particular method of infertility treatment. The first and foremost is that this is the least invasive and the most «natural» of the methods available. Due to this nature of the procedure, there is no need for hormonal injections or paracentesis, etc. making it easy on the patient’s body. Another of the advantages is that, it is possible to proceed with artificial insemination using donor sperm without undergoing IVF. This is the case where the male partner has reproductive issues or if there is no partner at all.
The cost of artificial insemination is lower than that of in-vitro fertilization (IVF) procedure. When the decision to choose artificial insemination or IVF, cost is not the only factor though. Doctor’s recommendation at GMS is based on diagnosis along with the fact that artificial insemination is also less effective than in-vitro fertilization. Artificial insemination success rates range from 15-25% whereas IVF success rates are around 35-40%.
Reasons to use Husband’s or Partner’s Sperm for Artificial Insemination
Reasons which are common for both Male and female participants:
- Unexplained infertility. This is the state in couples when there is a lack of explanation for infertility despite regular sexual intercourse;
- Another one of the reasons is when there is Irregular sexual intercourse and/or hypo-sexuality.
Reasons only for Female participants:
- Increased vaginal acidity;
- Infertility due to Cervical Factor: There are mainly two scenarios that leads to this. The first scenario occurs, when it is impossible for sperm to travel through the cervical canal due to anatomical factor like, a abnormally long cervical canal. In the second scenario, the presence of anti-sperm antibodies in cervical mucus (identified with a positive female MAR-test result), etc.) that prove as the hindering factor.
Reasons only for Male participants:
- Low sperm count;
- The presence of antisperm antibodies in the sperm itself (indicated by a positive male MAR-test result);
- High sperm viscosity;
- Erectile dysfunction;
- Male genital anomalies making ejaculation into the vagina impossible (retrograded ejaculation, hypospadias, etc.).
Reasons to use Donor Sperm for Artificial Insemination
- Social factor (the absence of a sexual partner);
- Genetic factor (if the husband or partner has a hereditary genetic disease);
- Secretory (non-obstructive) azoospermia (when the husband’s or partner’s testicles don’t release sperm).
Reasons to not use Artificial Insemination
Re-iterating our founding principle that treatment should be based on diagnosis, and there are conditions when Artificial Insemination is not advised. Some of there are:
- Fallopian tube obstructions (pelvic adhesions, a history of ectopic pregnancies, structural fallopian tube abnormalities, etc.);
- Space-occupying lesions in ovaries (cysts, tumours);
- Severe endometriosis;
- Malignant tumours present at any location;
- If one of the partner shows signs of an inflammation.
By choosing artificial (intrauterine) insemination at the GMS IVF Clinic, you receive:
- Medical care provided by experts with formidable experience in the field of reproductive technology;
- The guarantee that our equipment and materials are high quality and are from leading global brands;
- The use of customized medications from the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. We guarantee the highest standard for EACH medication;
- In case that a donor program is necessary, access to our own comprehensive sperm donor database as well as data from our partners — the biggest sperm bank in Russia and Eastern Europe;
- A comprehensive approach in treating each individual case;
- Convenient access to all essential medical advisory services and procures (all under the same roof);
- Fast and 100% high-quality test results in our OWN GMS laboratory;
- The ability to have medical procedures at any time that’s convenient for you;
- Around-the-clock medical and consulting support available every day of the week.